Can’t Remove Zeus pop-up Virus Scam? This page includes detailed ads by Zeus Removal instructions!
The Zeus Virus is yet one more cyber infection out there. This program uses subtle lies and tricks to steal your money. Remember, its ultimate goal is to get to your bank account. Unlike many parasites, this adware-type pest attempts to involve you in a scam. It brings along pop-ups solely to cause you damage. Hence, do yourself a favor and uninstall the infection ASAP. The thing with parasites is, they become more and more problematic as time passes. Unless you want the mess to become greater, tackle the virus right now. To begin with, adware rarely waits for your active cooperation to get downloaded. More often than not, these programs use stealthy infiltration methods. In other words, Zeus Virus started lying to you the minute it landed on board. Once the installation is complete, your browsers get modified. It goes without saying your consent (once again) is in no way involved. The virus adds a brand new browser extension thus injecting your browsers with pop-ups. What these security alerts, warnings and other messages share is the fact they are fake. After all, you are dealing with a nasty cyber parasite. Nothing it generates could possibly be trusted. Don’t be gullible enough to believe the infection’s bogus pop-ups. These messages are lying to your face. Keep in mind that you only have a relatively easy to tackle adware virus on board. That means all horrible threats these pop-ups warn you about are non-existent. As mentioned, these security alerts are completely bogus. They claim your machine is filled with infections which, conveniently, are all super harmful. As you could imagine, this is nothing but a cheap trickery. Hackers are trying to get you to panic. Panicking may cost you a hefty sum of money, though. Remember that the Zeus Virus is responsible for these pop-ups. According to those, you have to dial a certain phone number to fix the numerous issues on your PC. Don’t even consider dialing the number provided (911239217). You would not contact technicians. On the other hand, you would contact the parasite’s greedy developers. Hackers want you to call so they could sell you some useless anti-malware software or services. This is a classic cyber scam that might end badly for you. To prevent falling victim to hackers’ fraud, stay away from the pop-ups. Simply ignore their empty promises and bogus threats. Do yourself a favor; remove the virus.
How did I get infected with?
The most commonly applied technique is called freeware bundling. Why is this such a popular tactic? It is both super simple and very efficient. All sorts of malicious programs travel the Web via freeware or shareware bundles. That gives you a solid reason to pay attention to the programs you install next time you go for bundled software. Opt for the Custom or Advanced option in the Setup Wizard. Many people prefer to skip installation steps as they rush the process. However, this is how they ultimately get infected. As we mentioned already, bundles are a preferred method for all sorts of malware. That includes browser hijackers, Trojans, ransomware. Don’t neglect your security for even a minute because that’s all it takes. Check out the programs you’re about to download instead of rushing. Go through the Terms and Conditions or EULA (End User License Agreement) too. Take your time right now so you don’t have to fight a virus afterwards. Protect your PC security. Also, we’d recommend that you stay away from unverified websites and third-party pop-ups. Avoid opening random email-attachments/messages as well because those are usually corrupted too.
Why is this dangerous?
The Zeus Virus modifies all your browsers. This nuisance goes after Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. Before you know it, Zeus takes control over all your favorite browsers. They might also start crashing or freezing. What’s even more worrisome is the endless pile of fake pop-ups that now cover your PC screen. Note that these warnings and alerts are displayed by the parasite so they are very dangerous. Crooks are trying to gain illegal profit by scamming you. Are you willing to give away your money to cyber criminals? Every cent they gain will be invested in more infections so, eventually, more innocent PC users will get in trouble. Don’t become a sponsor of hackers’ illegitimate business and take action instead. The sooner, the better. To get rid of the virus manually, please follow our detailed removal guide. You will find it down below.
How to Remove Zeus virus
The Zeus infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the Zeus infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
Please, keep in mind that SpyHunter’s scanner tool is free. To remove the Zeus infection, you need to purchase its full version.
STEP 1: Track down Zeus in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate Zeus startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean Zeus virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean Zeus traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the Zeus by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by Zeus
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for Zeus, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove Zeus argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove Zeus Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your system and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.