Please, have in mind that SpyHunter offers a free 15-day Trial version with full functionality. Credit card is required, no charge upfront.
Can’t Remove Chrome Search Win hijacker virus? This page includes detailed Chrome Search Win Removal instructions!
If you’re stuck with a program called Chrome Search Win, you’re in trouble. This parasite lies to your face and promises various functionalities. In reality, though, Chrome Search Win doesn’t deliver. Classified as a browser hijacker, the virus jeopardizes both your safety and privacy. Take action as soon as you encounter its presence because having an infection on board is dangerous. Let alone such a tricky, deceptive one. On theory, Chrome Search Win provides accurate and fast search results. As you can tell, that is just a lie which aims at convincing you to keep the hijacker. Unfortunately, many people tend to overlook the threat posed by such infections. The more time Chrome Search Win spends on your machine, the more problematic it becomes. Instead of letting this pest get out of hand, take measures ASAP. Once the installation is complete, the virus starts messing with your browser settings. That includes your default search engine as well as homepage. Both get replaced with the hijacker’s malicious domain which is anything but trustworthy. The one thing Chrome Search Win generates is a pile of sponsored web links. In other words, you are now bombarded with random, useless, potentially corrupted links. And that’s just the beginning. Hackers are currently using your device to make money through the pay-per-click mechanism. The links that now cover your PC screen could be leading you directly to infections. One single careless move is all it takes to compromise your safety further. To prevent that, you have to stay away from anything Chrome Search Win brings to you. Apart from the search results, you may come across commercials, product deals and various offers, coupons, discounts, etc. Not a single one of these ads is reliable. Thus, make no mistake. Chrome Search Win not only messes with your default search engine and homepage but it also adds a certain browser extension. The hijacker effectively takes over your everyday online activities and surely causes a mess. It even spies on your browsing-related data so your privacy is at stake too.
How did I get infected with?
The most commonly used technique is called freeware bundling. It is just as simple as it is efficient. Do you often download such program bundles off of the Internet? Many people do. However, PC users tend to rush the installation and skip important steps. As a result, they get infected. To protect your machine from intruders, you have to keep an eye out for malware. Be careful what you agree to download as you may stumble across dangerous infections. Always opt for the Custom option in the Setup Wizard. Check out the Terms and Conditions or EULA (End User License Agreement) too. You see, the key to your safety is your care. Unless you make an effort to deselect the potential viruses that come bundled, you may compromise your security. It is a lot less time-consuming to prevent malware infiltration than to deal with the parasite afterwards. Another popular method involves fake emails/messages as well as questionable torrents or software updates. Be careful when surfing the Internet. Your attention will eventually pay off.
Why is this dangerous?
Hijackers are irritating, aggressive and very dangerous. Chrome Search Win may not seem like a harmful virus but it could cause you irreversible harm. This pest of a program brings along tons of issues and problems. It puts you in constant danger so you have to act quickly. The parasite adds its malicious plugin to all your favorite browsers. It is compatible with Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. Now that your browsers are modified, the virus controls your everyday online experience. Chrome Search Win begins to generate sponsored pop-ups, commercials and random third-party web links. This nuisance is pesky and stubborn. Its shenanigans ultimately cause a poor PC performance. Your machine starts crashing or freezing, your Internet connection may become unstable too. In addition, the parasite monitors some of your sensitive, very private data. It provides hackers yet another convenient opportunity to make money at your expense. Crooks might involve you in identity theft or financial fraud. To delete the virus, please follow our detailed manual removal guide. You will find it down below.
How to Remove Chrome Search Win virus
The Chrome Search Win infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the Chrome Search Win infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
STEP 1: Track down Chrome Search Win related processes in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate Chrome Search Win startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean Chrome Search Win virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean Chrome Search Win traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the Chrome Search Win by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by Chrome Search Win
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for Chrome Search Win, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove Chrome Search Win argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove Chrome Search Win Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your whole system or network and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.