Can’t Remove Search.searchtpg.com hijacker virus? This page includes detailed Search.searchtpg.com Removal instructions!
You’re stuck with a hijacker. The display of the Search.searchtpg.com page is a clear indication of the invasion. Consider it a sure sign, there’s a browser hijacker on your PC. It’s hiding, somewhere in the corners of your system, making a mess. Not only does the infection wreak havoc, and flood you with ‘minor’ issues. But it also places your privacy at risk. And, that’s a pretty major concern. One, you must take into consideration, when you decide whether to keep the tool. Of course, experts advise against that. A hijacker has NO place on your PC. The best thing you can do upon discovering, there’s one on your computer, is to remove it. The sooner, the better. That’s because, time is not your friend. The more you extend the tool’s stay, the bigger the odds it accomplishes its agenda. The hijacker follows programming to spy on your online activities. To steal as much information from you as possible. Then, once it deems it has gathered enough, to expose it. To whom? Well, to the unknown individuals that unleashed it onto the web. Strangers with questionable intentions. Those are NOT the people, you want to have access to your private details. Protect your personal and financial data. Keep it out of the reach of malicious strangers. Ensure your system’s well-being. Do NOT allow the hijacker to stay even a moment longer after detection. Once you discover its existence, make sure to remove it. Do it ASAP. The infection’s prompt removal earns you a peace of mind, as well as the gratitude of your future self.
How did I get infected with?
The infection, behind Search.searchtpg.com, duped you. It got you to approve its installment. And, it kept you clueless. Yes, hijackers are THAT sneaky. They’re masterful at deception. Through slyness and subtlety, they get you to allow them in. The old but gold means of infiltration are quite handy when it comes to tricking you. The hijacker uses freeware, spam emails, corrupted links, fake updates. They are all useful in its ploy to slither in undetected. Take freeware, for example. It offers one of the easiest ways into your system. If not THE easiest. That’s because, users are rather careless during its install. And, that’s what hijackers prey on. Your carelessness. They need you to give into distraction, and naivety. To rush, and not bother to do your due diligence. That’s a choice, you’ll regret making. Do NOT choose carelessness over caution. Always apply extra attention, and be thorough, when opening your PC. Especially, when allowing tools, updates, or anything else off the web, into your system. Vigilance goes a long way. It can save you a ton of issues! Keep that in mind, next time, you install freeware. Or, anything else, for that matter. Caution is crucial. There aren’t enough ways to stress that.
Why is this dangerous?
Search.searchtpg.com becomes the bane of your browsing. It traces every move, you make. Consider it your online shadow. The site intercepts your browsing, non-stop. When you so much as touch your browser, it shows up. Type in a search, and discover it among the suggested results. Open a new tab, and find it there to greet you. The page even takes over for your default homepage and search engine. What’s worse, it’s not the only intrusion, you get forced to endure. Apart from the incessant redirects, you get stuck with advertisements. Lots and lots of them. Every time you go online, your screen gets flooded with banner, in-text, and pop-up ads. Don’t think these continuous disruptions go unnoticed for long. They don’t. The ad bombardment, and constant presence of Search.searchtpg.com, have consequences. They affect your system, and cause it to suffer frequent crashes. Your computer slows down to a crawl, as well. It’s a mess. Don’t allow it to worsen. Cut the cyber threat’s stay as short as possible. Do yourself a favor, and delete it the first chance you get. It’s the best course of action to take.
How to Remove Search.searchtpg.com virus
The Search.searchtpg.com infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the Search.searchtpg.com infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
STEP 1: Track down Search.searchtpg.com related processes in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate Search.searchtpg.com startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean Search.searchtpg.com virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean Search.searchtpg.com traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the Search.searchtpg.com by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by Search.searchtpg.com
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for Search.searchtpg.com, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove Search.searchtpg.com argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove Search.searchtpg.com Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your whole system or network and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.