Please, have in mind that SpyHunter offers a free 15-day Trial version with full functionality. Credit card is required, no charge upfront.
Can’t Remove WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE ads? This page includes detailed ads by WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE Removal instructions!
If your anti-virus program detects a virus, it will display a pop-up message of some sort. It will not use your browser to inform you about the thread. If you get redirected to the WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE website, do not be fooled by its design. This page is a pretender. It is a bogus website created by crooks who play with your fears. If you land on this page, don’t interact with it. The website contains a script which prevents you from exiting normally. It opens pop-ups and forces you to click on them. Don’t do it. There is another way to exit the page. Use your Task Manager to close your browser and start a new session. If the bogus page reappears, you might have a problem. Such browser redirections are usually caused by adware. Do not panic. Your browser is infected with one relatively easy to tackle type of infection. The WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE adware is not a virus by a malicious ad-generating program. It slithers into your device unnoticed and wreaks havoc. The app is programmed to generate ad-revenue. Basically, when you click on its adverts, the owners of the adware will get paid. And so, their tool bombards its victims with advertisements. It injects various ads on every website you open, pauses your online videos for commercial breaks and redirects your browser to sponsored pages. The adware can ruin your browsing experience in seconds. If you don’t take action against it, it will get out of hand. With the time passing, the WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE adware gets more and more aggressive. It will drown you in a sea of advertisements. It will cause your computer to underperform. Your Internet Connection would also seem slower than usual. The adware affects every aspect of your daily browsing. Luckily, you can remove it. Do it now! The sooner you clean your computer, the better!
How did I get infected with?
The WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE adware did not install itself. This pest is a simple PC program. It cannot enter your device without your approval. Yet, you cannot recall installing it, can you? Well, this is no surprise for us. This parasite, after all, is a master deceiver. It tricked you into installing it unintentionally. The adware usually hitches a ride with other software. This is the so-called bundling technique. Software developers often attach additional programs to the payload files of their apps. To avoid future infections, always opt for the Advanced in installation option. Under it, you will be presented with a list of all extras. You can deselect all additional software and still install the app you originally planned to set up. This is your computer. You are in charge of what is being installed on it. Make sure you allow only trustworthy apps on board. Read the Terms and Conditions/EULA. If you spot anything out of the ordinary, abort the installation. The WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE adware tricked you once. Don’t make the same mistake ever again. Other malware distribution methods include email attachments, torrents, and fake software updates. Your caution can prevent these methods from succeeding.
Why is this dangerous?
The WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE adware is intrusive and irritating. It can ruin your browsing experience in seconds. Yet, it is more than a simple nuisance. The adware is quite hazardous. This parasite has no verifying mechanism. It doesn’t distinguish between bogus and legitimate websites. It doesn’t even check who uses its services. Anyone willing to pay can use the adware and its resources to promote. The crooks take full advantage. They use the adware to reach more victims. Be very careful. If an offer looks too good to be true, it probably isn’t. With the WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE utility on board, you are more likely to be redirected to bogus websites that to legitimate ones. If you have the misfortune to click on a corrupted advert, you may get redirected to infected web pages. One click is all it takes for a virus to be downloaded. Keeping the adware on board is not worth the risk. We have provided a manual removal guide below this article. If you prefer automated solutions, you can also download a trustworthy anti-virus app. Choose your removal method and act!
How to Remove WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE virus
The WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
STEP 1: Track down WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove WINDOWSDEFENDER.SITE Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your system and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.