Can’t Remove WebDiscover hijacker virus? This page includes detailed WebDiscover Removal instructions!
WebDiscover Browser is nothing but trouble. This piece of software is classified as a browser hijacker. The good news is, this tool is not very dangerous. Yet, given enough time, it can cause irreversible damage to your computer. WebDiscover Browser has only one goal – to generate revenue for its owners. It uses the so-called pay-per-click marketing system. For every ad you click on, the people behind the hijacker will be paid. Don’t click on ads. Don’t become a sponsor of such heartless people. They don’t care about you or your security. Why should you help them? The WebDiscover Browser hijacker displays numerous advertisements. Most of them are appealing. There is a good reason for that. The malicious tool won’t expose you to just any kind of ads. It will select the most appealing ones. This task is easier than you think. The hijacker knows what you like, look for and need. After all, this tool is constantly spying on you. No joke here. WebDiscover Browser is monitoring your every online move. It knows which sites you visit, what search inquiries you make. Nothing is private any longer. Therefore, avoid using banking services and social media while this app remains active on your machine. Otherwise, you risk losing money or becoming a victim of identity theft. Don’t worry. We are here to help. You can remove this parasite manually. Simply, follow our guide. Of course, if you are not confident in your computer skills, there is an automated solution. Download a trustworthy anti-virus program and clean your machine. Act promptly. You have nothing to lose, only to gain!
How did I get infected with?
WebDiscover Browser is just one of many browser hijackers. When it comes to distribution, these tools are stealthy. The malicious app might have arrived as a bundled program to some freeware you downloaded off the web. When installing a program, especially if it is a free one, opt for advanced tab or button. This setup method may be presented as a suitable choice for IT experts only. Yet, there is nothing complicated in it. It is a simple step-by-step installation wizard. However, only under it can you see all extras programs that are about to be installed. Deselect them. You don’t need so many apps. If you did, you would have downloaded them by yourself. If you select the standard method, however, all these extras will be installed without your approval or even acknowledgment. Other malware distribution method include torrents, spam emails and fake software update. What these techniques rely on is your carelessness. Be vigilant and doubting instead. You can prevent infections. This is your computer. You are the one who is responsible for its security. Always do your due diligence. Never rush through an installation. And don’t skip the terms and conditions/EULA. We know how annoying and time-consuming this step is. Yet, it is the only way you can spot breaches. If you think that something looks suspicious, there probably is a good reason for that. In addition, keep your anti-virus software up to date. It’s your last defense wall.
Why is this dangerous?
WebDiscover Browser can be highly destructive. This tool bombards you with tons of ads. However, unlike other marketing platforms, the hijacker has no checking mechanism. Anyone willing to spend some money can use the app to promote. Thus, hackers often use such malicious tools to spread corrupted content. If you click on a malicious ad, a virus may be downloaded directly on your computer. Furthermore, the search results you are seeing are not to be trusted either. The hijacker injects fake entries among them. These entries, most of the time, are adverts. Yet, they are not marked as such. Dodgy websites pay hefty sums for their links to be shown at the top of the search results. Doing an objective research will become an impossible task. The adware is also hiding its competitors’ ad. Thus, it is limiting your sources of information. WebDiscover Browser is a menace. Don’t tolerate it! The sooner it is gone, the better!
How to Remove WebDiscover virus
The WebDiscover infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the WebDiscover infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
Please, keep in mind that SpyHunter’s scanner tool is free. To remove the WebDiscover infection, you need to purchase its full version.
STEP 1: Track down WebDiscover related processes in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate WebDiscover startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean WebDiscover virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean WebDiscover traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the WebDiscover by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by WebDiscover
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for WebDiscover, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove WebDiscover argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove WebDiscover Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your whole system or network and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.