Can’t Remove SongsCenter Search hijacker virus? This page includes detailed SongsCenter Search Removal instructions!
As you could imagine, SongsCenter Search isn’t a reliable search engine. This program is actually a nasty browser hijacker which exposes you to cyber threats. It is certainly not something you should keep on board. Instead of tolerating the parasite, make sure you uninstall it ASAP. Hijackers are quite tricky and problematic. They work completely behind the victim’ back and modify the target browsers. Unfortunately, SongsCenter Search is compatible with all three of the most commonly used browsers out there. Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer all get modified without your authorization. The hijacker isn’t going to waste time seeking any consent. It alters both your default search engine and homepage. Those get replaced with the parasite’s malicious domain. Do you see the problem? Every time you attempt to surf the Web, you’re forced to use this particular domain. And you could be more than positive SongsCenter Search isn’t trying to improve your online experience. Even though the virus promises to provide accurate and safe search results, this is a lie. SongsCenter Search is only on your machine to inject your browsers with sponsored web links. It adds a browser extension too so you may witness some sponsored commercials. Long story short, the infection hijacks your everyday online activities. Your opinions about all changes SongsCenter Search makes remain out of the picture. The very program that was supposed to be beneficial for you actually destroys your browsing experience. Keep in mind the search results this pest generates may or may not be harmless. If you’re unlucky, you may click the wrong link and automatically download more infections. Some of the pop-ups displayed by this program could turn out to be harmful too. You may even spot some fake, immensely dangerous software updates on your PC screen. To prevent further damage, stay away from anything generated by the hijacker. It only takes one wrong move online to compromise your safety further. We assume you aren’t trying to install more infections or sponsor hackers’ business. Then why keep this nuisance on board?
How did I get infected with?
The hijacker must have been bundled with other programs. This is the most commonly used infiltration tactic at the moment for a reason. Bundles allow all kinds of infections to travel the Web in silence. Thus, you both infect your PC and remain oblivious to that. The one thing that is worse than downloading parasites is doing so without knowing it. SongsCenter Search starts wreaking havoc immediately after it slithers itself onto your PC. To prevent that in the future, always take your time during the installation process. Opt for the Custom/Advanced option and watch out for potential intruders. Most PC users prefer skipping important steps and accidentally install malware. It goes without saying that having to remove infections is a much greater hassle than preventing installation. Save yourself the trouble and keep an eye out for intruders. Remember that hackers could be incredibly creative when it comes to spreading viruses online. Stay away from the random emails/messages you may receive in your inbox too. Last but not least, avoid installing unverified torrents and programs.
Why is this dangerous?
Hijackers are able to ruin your online experience. SongsCenter Search constantly redirects you and floods your PC screen with sponsored links. It entirely bypasses your permission and preferences. As a result, none of your browsers is reliable anymore. You’re left unable to surf the Internet due to the hijacker’s shenanigans. SongsCenter Search attempts to trick you into clicking its sponsored links open. If you do, the parasite’s developers gain revenue and you may land on malicious pages. It’s rather clear that you have to avoid anything brought to you by the virus. SongsCenter Search even spies on your browsing history and other sensitive data. This nuisance causes your browsers to freeze and crash; it might generate some fake commercials as well. The parasite must be deleted as soon as possible. Keep in mind that if this infection spends enough time on board, it could get out of control and cause a mess. To delete it manually, please follow our detailed removal guide down below.
How to Remove SongsCenter Search virus
The SongsCenter Search infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the SongsCenter Search infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
STEP 1: Track down SongsCenter Search related processes in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate SongsCenter Search startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean SongsCenter Search virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean SongsCenter Search traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the SongsCenter Search by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by SongsCenter Search
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for SongsCenter Search, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove SongsCenter Search argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove SongsCenter Search Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your whole system or network and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.