Can’t Remove Search.linkmyc.com hijacker virus? This page includes detailed Search.linkmyc.com Removal instructions!
Search.linkmyc.com is a harbinger of bad news. This website is the face of a browser hijacker. If ads flood your browser, if questionable websites pop up out of the blue, the news is bad. Your device is infected. The sneaky hijacker lurks in the shadows of your OS and causes trouble. Don’t panic, though. This intruder is not a virus. It can’t corrupt your entire operating system. The hijacker targets your web browsers. Chrome, Firefox, Edge. There is no immune program. The hijacker alters their settings and throws you into a whirlwind of reshuffles. Brace yourself! This parasite is a complete and utter menace. It replaces both your homepage and default search engine. It is also likely to install unwanted extensions and toolbars. And it doesn’t stop here. The hijacker also messes with the website you visit. It inserts various ads on every web page you load, turns random text into hyperlinks, and opens annoying pop-ups. Click nothing! Everything “Brought to you by Search.linkmyc.com” is unreliable and potentially dangerous. The hijacker has no filters nor security mechanisms. Its ads arise unwarranted expectations at best. At worst, they redirect traffic to scam and malicious websites. Don’t test your luck! As soon as the Search.linkmyc.com website pops up, take action! Find where the hijacker hides and delete it upon detection. That’s your best course of action!
How did I get infected with?
A hijacker forces the Search.linkmyc.com website on you. This parasite slithers into your PC and floods you with countless annoying ads. Don’t imagine cyber attacks, though. The hijacker can’t “hack” your computer. No! This parasite needs you, the user, to approve its installation. That’s the rule! The hijacker is bound to seek your consent. And it does. It always asks! But it does so in the sneakiest way possible. The hijacker steals your approval through slyness. It hides in the shadows and preys on your naivety. Don’t make its job easier. Choose caution over carelessness. Your vigilance can prevent infections. The hijacker usually lurks behind app bundles, fake updates, corrupted links, pirated software. These tricks succeed only when you throw caution to the wind. If you, however, take the time to do your due diligence, you can keep your PC free of infections. So, don’t be lazy! Make sure you know what kind of apps get on your OS. Download software and updates from reliable sources only. Forget about the “Next-Next-Finish” setup strategy. When available, use the advanced/custom option. And don’t even think about skipping the terms and conditions. If you can’t read the whole document, scan it with an online EULA analyzer. Even a little extra attention can spare you an avalanche of problems. Don’t hesitate to opt out of the installation if you notice anything suspicious!
Why is this dangerous?
The “Powered by Search.linkmyc.com” ads are the beginning of an ad invasion. A hijacker controls your browser and floods you with hundreds of ads. This parasite doesn’t miss a chance to interrupt you with ads. Whether you watch a video or browse your favorite website, the hijacker always finds a way to interrupt you. If you, however, examine these annoying “Ads by Search.linkmyc.com,” you’ll realize that there is more to the story. The ads are targeted at you! They are based on the websites you visit, the links you follow, the videos you watch. That’s because you are under surveillance! The hijacker doesn’t waste time with random ads. It studies your browsing habits and uses the collected data to turn you into an easy target. Do you think that ends well? The parasite spies on you from day one. It knows your every online step. Even the Incognito mode can’t hide you. The hijacker knows everything! And when this parasite gathers enough information, it proceeds to sell everything! If you are out of luck, some pieces of data, your search queries, for example, may leak confidential details! Do not risk it! The Search.linkmyc.com website is your clue. Your PC needs help. Take action against the parasite! Remove the hijacker before it gets a chance to cause you harm!
How to Remove Search.linkmyc.com virus
The Search.linkmyc.com infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the Search.linkmyc.com infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
STEP 1: Track down Search.linkmyc.com related processes in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate Search.linkmyc.com startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean Search.linkmyc.com virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean Search.linkmyc.com traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the Search.linkmyc.com by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by Search.linkmyc.com
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for Search.linkmyc.com, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove Search.linkmyc.com argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove Search.linkmyc.com Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your whole system or network and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.