Please, have in mind that SpyHunter offers a free 15-day Trial version with full functionality. Credit card is required, no charge upfront.
Can’t Remove Regardensy hijacker virus? This page includes detailed Regardensy Removal instructions!
Regardensy is yet another parasite. Security experts have categorized this intruder as a browser hijacker. The good news is that it is not a virus. The Regardensy hijacker cannot corrupt your entire OS, it limits its influence to your web browser only. Following a successful installation, the parasite scans your system for installed browsers and corrupts them. The hijacker is programmed to alter your browsers’ settings and to turn them into ad-displaying tools. Be prepared for unwanted changes. The hijacker may replace your homepage as well as your default search engine. It is also instructed to take control of your browsing experience. The hijacker uses aggressive and misleading strategies to turn you from a visitor into a customer. It uses surveillance to determine your preferences and to target you with customized marketing campaigns. In other words, it spies on you and uses the collected data against you. Everything you do online is recorded. Which websites you visit, what search inquiries you make, what videos you watch. Even the Incognito mode of your browser cannot hide you from the parasite. Your every online step is recorded and analyzed. The collected data may not strike you as too sensitive, but a capable advertiser needs very little to successfully target you. What if this capable advertiser has bad intentions? Numerous crooks use the Regardensy adware to reach potential victims. Bear this in mind the next time you see an irresistible online advert. With the hijacker on board, you are more likely to end up on scam and potentially infected websites than on legitimate ones. Do not risk your security, remove the intruder ASAP!
How did I get infected with?
To reach its victims, the Regardensy adware uses trickery. It travels hidden in software bundles, fake updates, and torrents. The good old spam emails may also spread the infection. All these techniques, however, share a common weakness. They will all fail if you are vigilant and doubting. Download your software from reputable sources only. When installing an app, pay close attention to the fine print. If available, always select the Advanced/Custom/Manual installation option. Under it, you will be presented with a detailed list of all changes that are about to be made to your system. If additional programs are about to be installed, deselect them. These third-party tools, more often than not are malicious parasites like the Regardensy hijacker. Besides, if you truly needed this software, you would have downloaded it by yourself. This is your computer, you decide what to be installed on it. Do not let others make this decision for you. Always make sure you know what you are giving your approval to. Therefore, don’t skip the terms and conditions. If you cannot spare enough time to read the whole document, use an online EULA analyzer to scan it. If you detect anything out of the ordinary, abort the installation immediately. Do not be negligent. Only you can keep your computer virus-free. Always do your due diligence!
Why is this dangerous?
The Regardensy hijacker is a complete and total menace. It interferes with every aspect your web-browsing. Every time you as much as touch your browser, your screen gets covered in adverts. You cannot get a simple task done without being interrupted. What’s worse, it seems that your conditions worsen rapidly. You are not mistaken. The hijacker tends to get more and more aggressive with each passing day. Unfortunately, the more ads you see, the bigger the chance you click on a corrupted one. The hijacker has no security mechanism. It cannot protect you against online frauds. Quite the opposite, it turns you into an easy target. Numerous crooks use this parasite to run their schemes. They prepare customized adverts and push them on you. When you click, however, bad things happen. You risk ending up on phishing and infected websites. The crooks want to either lure you into subscribing to overpriced services, into installing rogue software or into revealing personal and financial details. Be very careful what you do online. Do not disclose sensitive information. Or better yet, remove the Regardensy adware immediately. This parasite has no place on your computer. Remove it the first chance you get!
How to Remove Regardensy virus
The Regardensy infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the Regardensy infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
STEP 1: Track down Regardensy related processes in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate Regardensy startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean Regardensy virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean Regardensy traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the Regardensy by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by Regardensy
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for Regardensy, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove Regardensy argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove Regardensy Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your whole system or network and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.