Can’t Remove REDIRECTOR.GVT1 hijacker virus? This page includes detailed REDIRECTOR.GVT1 Removal instructions!
The REDIRECTOR.GVT1.COM infection is quite a pest. Classified as a browser hijacker, this program is immensely problematic. It modifies your default browser settings in silence and causes nothing but trouble. You see, hijackers take over the victim’s browsers. REDIRECTOR.GVT1.COM does the same thing. Instead of seeking your permission or consent, the virus works behind your back. Needless to say how dangerous that is, right? Having an infection that serves hackers’ purposes is bad enough. When the parasite bypasses all your preferences and opinions, that makes it even more worrisome. Once REDIRECTOR.GVT1.COM gets installed, it modifies your search engine as well as homepage. Both get replaced with the parasite’s domain so you are now stuck with it. There is no getting rid of the hijacker. Every single time you attempt to use any of your browsers, REDIRECTOR.GVT1.COM greets you. This nuisance is supposed to enhance your online experience. However, it does not. Instead, the hijacker injects your once trusty browsers with sponsored web links. Your PC screen gets covered with useless, unreliable search results. Clicking them open only helps hackers gain profit. Remember that the web links have absolutely nothing to do with your browsing activities. Hackers aren’t remotely interested in helping you surf the Internet. What they are trying to do is generate web traffic. You should know better than to click the search results an infection displays. These web links could lead you directly to malicious pages full of malware. Hence, you may easily compromise your safety further and download more viruses. Is that really what you’re aiming for, installing more infections? As long as the hijacker is on board, you will remain one click away from viruses. REDIRECTOR.GVT1.COM is bad news so be cautious. The sooner you uninstall it, the better.
How did I get infected with?
There are many stealthy virus distribution methods. Number one technique is called freeware or shareware bundling. It is pretty much self-explanatory and very simple. All that hackers have to do is add a certain parasite to a program bundle. As most people skip installation steps, they remain oblivious to the presence of the “bonus”. Therefore, the infection gets downloaded along with the safe programs you were going for. To prevent that, always opt for the custom or advanced option. Keep an eye out for malicious bonuses. If you do spot something in the bundle that you find untrustworthy, deselect it ASAP. Otherwise, your machine gets infected. We recommend that you check out the Terms and Conditions as well. Same thing goes for the End User License Agreement (EULA). Make a thorough check of all programs and stay away from unverified bundles. Take your time online; the Web is full of viruses. It is your responsibility to prevent malware infiltration. Be attentive when surfing the Internet and your caution will pay off.
Why is this dangerous?
The hijacker is stubborn and obsessive. It is compatible with some of the most commonly used browsers out there. Yes, that includes Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. This pest of a program causes your browsers to redirect you. Thus, you may land on all sorts of questionable pages. REDIRECTOR.GVT1.COM also adds a browser extension/plugin. That means you may come across various commercials and other pop-ups as well. We’re talking discounts, coupons, product deals and offers, “best prices”, price comparisons, etc. The virus is attempting to lure you into clicking the ads open. It’s crystal clear that you should stay away from the advertisements, though. Nothing generated by a browser hijacker is to be trusted so do the right thing. Avoid the devious commercials, product deals and even software updates you may notice. Last but not least, know REDIRECTOR.GVT1.COM monitors your browsing-related data. It sneakily steals your browsing history, usernames, passwords, etc. Before you know it, the hijacker may cause you some irreversible privacy damage. To delete REDIRECTOR.GVT1.COM manually, please follow our detailed removal guide down below.
How to Remove REDIRECTOR.GVT1 virus
The REDIRECTOR.GVT1 infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the REDIRECTOR.GVT1 infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
STEP 1: Track down REDIRECTOR.GVT1 related processes in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate REDIRECTOR.GVT1 startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean REDIRECTOR.GVT1 virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean REDIRECTOR.GVT1 traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the REDIRECTOR.GVT1 by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by REDIRECTOR.GVT1
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for REDIRECTOR.GVT1, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove REDIRECTOR.GVT1 argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove REDIRECTOR.GVT1 Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your whole system or network and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.