This article can help you to remove MINERGATE Virus. The step by step removal works for every version of Microsoft Windows.
MINERGATE is a program which is supposed to help you mine Ethereum coins. This utility, however, often fails to properly disclose its functions. If you try to remove it from your computer, you are very likely to fail. Security experts have categorized the MINEGATE app and a Trojan horse. When you hit the “ I Agree” button and install the app, you actually give this tool admin privileges. And this is bad! Following a successful installation, the MINEGATE Trojan takes over your entire system. It immediately modifies your System Registry and corrupts some essential for your system files. The Trojan roots deep into your OS. No matter how hard you try, you will not be able to stop it. MINEGATE loads together with your OS and always runs in the background. Some say that this is to be expected from such utility. The thing is, you have no control over this app. It can modify your system’s settings. It can also use your computer resources unrestricted. The Trojan slows your device down and causes hardware failures. The coin mining process is only profitable if you don’t use your own resources. The Trojan uses yours. It is using both your CPU and GPU unrestricted. The mining program provides accounting services for the coin server. In exchange, it gets paid with coins. These coins can be exchanged for real money. Yet, you have no access to these coins. The stream of bad news is not ending here. The Trojan also consumes a lot of electricity. It can double, even triple your electricity bills. This utility has no place on your device. You will be much better without it. Do not hesitate to remove it. We have provided a manual removal guide below this article. If you prefer automated solutions, you can also download a trustworthy anti-virus app. You have options, the sooner you clean your device, the better!
How did I get infected with?
The MINERGATE Trojan is promoted as a legit program. Yet, if you haven’t downloaded this tool on purpose, you must have become a victim of software bundling. This technique is quite common nowadays. Developers attach extra programs to the installation files of many free apps. They also urge the users to use the standard installation option. If you select this installation, the extras will be installed without your explicit approval. If you select the Advanced installation, however, you will be presented with a list of all “bonus” programs that are also about to be installed. Examine the extras carefully. Deselect all suspicious elements. Make sure you know what you are approving on your computer. Read the Terms and Conditions/EULA. If you spot anything out of the ordinary, abort the installation immediately. Other Trojan distribution methods include the good old spam emails, torrents, and fake software updates. Your caution can prevent these techniques from succeeding. Don’t be lazy. Even a little extra caution goes a long, long way.
Why is this dangerous?
The MINERGATE Trojan enters your computer without your explicit approval. It takes full control of your system and runs its services uninterrupted. The furtive Trojan slows your computer down and causes system crashes. If it remains active for too long, it may cost you real money. To carry out its malicious services, the Trojan needs resources. It needs electricity. And it consumes a lot of it. What do you think happens with this power. Nothing is lost in nature. Your computer transforms the electric power into heat. And the heat is not good for your hardware. The Trojan, however, never stops. It uses your CPU under high temperatures and by doing so, it shortens its life significantly. If your cooling system is not efficient enough, the Trojan may cause irreversible hardware damage. MINERGATE puts your computer at risk! For what? For the money, of course. Yet is it the crooks who infected your device that will get them. Not you! The crooks are making a mint and you pay the bills. Do you think this is fair? Do not put up with this situation. Remove the parasite immediately.
Manual MINERGATE Removal Instructions
The MINERGATE infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the MINERGATE infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
STEP 1: Track down MINERGATE related processes in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate MINERGATE startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean MINERGATE virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
Step 4: Undo the possible damage done by MINERGATE
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for MINERGATE, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove MINERGATE Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your whole system or network and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible virus leftovers or temporary files.