Can’t Remove Mediafase.com hijacker virus? This page includes detailed Mediafase.com Removal instructions!
Mediafase.com is not even remotely safe. This website is the face of a nasty computer infection. Luckily, it is not a virus. It is a browser hijacker. The Mediafase.com hijacker is going to turn your browsing experience into a nightmare. This application is designed to generate traffic to some specific websites. Therefore, it will redirect you to numerous unknown, often hazardous, pages. It will also expose you to numerous advertisements. Numerous! Every website you visit will be covered in ad-banners. Pop-up windows will appear at the most unexpected times. You will see messages stating that your software is outdated and needs an update to function properly. Don’t trust a word you read. The Mediafase.com hijacker is controlling your web browser. It can and will expose you to fake messages as well as corrupted adverts. This application generates revenue via pay-per-click marketing system. For every ad you click on, its owners will be paid. You see where this is going, don’t you? Money is the reason this parasite was developed in the first place. Not your comfort or well-being. Money is all that matters. Hence, the hijacker will bombard you with commercials. You will hate every second of it. The hijacker has modified your browser’s settings. It is not just your homepage that has been changed. Your default search engine has been replaced. The search results you are seeing now are corrupted. No matter the provider, the Mediafase.com hijacker can inject fake entries among the search results. These entries are adverts. Yet, they are not marked as such. You can never be sure which search results are organic and which are sponsored. Doing an objective research will become an impossible task. Luckily, if you act promptly, you can remove the hijacker with ease. Don’t hesitate to act! The sooner you clean your computer, the better!
How did I get infected with?
The Mediafase.com hijacker appeared out of the blue. You were not prepared. It just materialized and now you are suffering the consequences. This is what most victims think. Yet, the hijacker did not appear by magic. It was installed on your PC. Like any other computer program, the Mediafase.com hijacker needs your approval. And you provided it. You were the one who let this malicious application in. We are not joking. You don’t remember installing it because you weren’t asked openly. When was the list time you installed a free program? When installing a program, opt for advanced installation. Developers often attach extra programs to the installation files of many free apps. Only under the advanced setup wizard can you see these extras. If you use the recommended fast/standard installation, however, these extras will be installed without your explicit consent. Choosing the standard installation wizard is never a good idea. This is your computer. You are the one who is responsible for its security. Always do your due diligence. The Internet is bursting with parasites. You can never know where an infection may strike from. The bundling method is probably the most common malware distribution method. Yet, there are many others. Spam emails, torrents and fake software updates. These are just the tip of the iceberg. If you are vigilant and careful, you can avoid most of them. Leave the rest to your anti-virus software. Therefore, it is essential to always keep it up to date.
Why is this dangerous?
The Mediafase.com application should not be tolerated. To select the right kind of adverts for you, the hijacker will monitor your browser related data. Thus, if you enter “sneakers” into some search engine, the hijacker will bombard you with tons of ads for similar items. This may look useful. You will see coupons and discounts for items that you actually need. Yet, if you follow these adverts, you may end up on shady, sometimes infected, websites. The hijacker has no checking mechanism. Anyone willing to pay can use this tool to promote. Hackers often get advanced of such apps. One click is all it takes for a virus to be downloaded directly on your PC. There is no way to tell which ads are corrupted and which are not. Therefore, avoid all commercials while the Mediafase.com app remains active on your machine. This is madness. Avoiding ads is not a solution. You must remove the infection. Follow our guide or use a trustworthy anti-virus program. You have options. Clean your computer ASAP!
How to Remove Mediafase.com virus
The Mediafase.com infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the Mediafase.com infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
Please, keep in mind that SpyHunter’s scanner tool is free. To remove the Mediafase.com infection, you need to purchase its full version.
STEP 1: Track down Mediafase.com related processes in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate Mediafase.com startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean Mediafase.com virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean Mediafase.com traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the Mediafase.com by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by Mediafase.com
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for Mediafase.com, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove Mediafase.com argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove Mediafase.com Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your whole system or network and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.