This article can help you to remove MailRuUpdater.exe Virus. The step by step removal works for every version of Microsoft Windows.
There is a legitimate tool that goes by the name Mail.Ru Software Updater by Mail.Ru Group. The tool, you’re stuck with is NOT that one. It’s neither legitimate nor reliable. It’s untrustworthy and malicious, and screams ‘Danger!’ Your system is in trouble. There’s a difference between the location and the size of the legitimate file, and the impostor. The MailRuUpdater.exe one, you’re stuck with, is an utter cyber menace. It belongs to the Trojan category, and is hazardous and harmful. As soon as the infection slips into your system, brace yourself. You’re in for quite the unpleasant predicament. The program throws you into a whirl of grievances and headaches. You face daily interference. The Trojan meddles with your Task Manager, Registry, and system settings. It forces changes on you. Ones, you neither requested nor approved. Ones, you had no prior knowledge of, but then discover, already in place. The cyber threat eats up space and resources. It exploits your system, and deteriorates its performance. Lagging becomes a part of your daily routine. You’re the victim of constant system crashes. Not to mention, going online turns into an utter nightmare. The MailRuUpdater.exe threat is not one you can ignore. To underestimate it, is a mistake. Don’t make it! As soon as you become aware of the Trojan’s presence on your PC, act. Take immediate action against it. Find its exact hiding place, then delete it. The sooner it leaves your system, the better.
How did I get infected with?
The MailRuUpdater.exe tool uses trickery to invade. More often than not, it turns to the old but gold invasive methods. They help it to slip by undetected. The usual antics include the following. Hiding behind freeware and corrupted links, sites, or torrents. And, of course, spam emails. One day, you get an email that appears legitimate. It seems to come from a well-known sender. For example, a company, like Amazon or PayPal. The email urges you to click a link, or download an attachment. If you do, you get stuck with the Trojan menace. Experts urge towards vigilance! Always take the time to be thorough. Don’t rush, or give into naivety. Don’t discard thew importance of caution. It helps you to spot such trickery, and keep your system free of threats. Choose caution over carelessness. Even a little extra attention goes a long way.
Why is this dangerous?
Trojans make for horrible companions. They not only wreak havoc on your system, and make a mess. They also take aim at your security. The MailRuUpdater.exe tool is no exception. The infection can disable your firewall and anti-virus program. Thus, making your PC vulnerable. It can get flooded to the brim with more unwanted malware. And, as if that doesn’t pose enough danger, the issues don’t end there. The Trojan threat also jeopardizes your privacy. It has instructions to spy on you. And, its espionage starts, following its invasion. The MailRuUpdater.exe tool tracks your online activities, from day one. It monitors everything you do, while browsing. Links and ads you click, sites you frequent, passwords, logins. As well as, credit card and bank account details. And, it doesn’t stop at only observing. It records everything, too. The Trojan has a record of all your activities. And, once it deems it has stolen sufficient data from you, it exposes it. Yes, it hands over the information to the unknown individuals behind it. Cyber criminals with malicious intentions. Don’t allow that to happen. Get rid of the atrocious threat at once. MailRuUpdater.exe has NO place on your PC. Remove it ASAP.
Manual MailRuUpdater.exe Removal Instructions
The MailRuUpdater.exe infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the MailRuUpdater.exe infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
STEP 1: Track down MailRuUpdater.exe related processes in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate MailRuUpdater.exe startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean MailRuUpdater.exe virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
Step 4: Undo the possible damage done by MailRuUpdater.exe
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for MailRuUpdater.exe, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove MailRuUpdater.exe Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your whole system or network and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible virus leftovers or temporary files.