Please, have in mind that SpyHunter offers a free 15-day Trial version with full functionality. Credit card is required, no charge upfront.
This article can help you to remove Kovter.c Virus. The step by step removal works for every version of Microsoft Windows.
Kovter.c belongs to the Trojan family. It’s a dreadful infection. One that’s meddling, malicious, and an utter hazard to your system and yourself. Trojan tools are a severe threat! Do NOT underestimate the danger, you’re in. You WILL regret it, if you do. The Kovter.c menace throws you into a whirl of grievances. It begins its mess-making as soon as it invades. All of a sudden, you start to suffer from a variety of issues. Going online becomes a nightmare. Every move you make gets intercepted. You get flooded with ads, redirected to suspicious sites. It’s quite bothersome, yes. But it also sets you up for future trouble. The intrusions get done with a nefarious purpose. They aim to ensure the survival of the hazardous Kovter.c. If the Trojan is to proceed with its operations, it has to generate revenue. It has to create web traffic, and pay-per-click profits. If it fails, the third parties behind it take it down. That’s why, the infection does its best, to avoid failure. Every time you open a new tab, type in a search, do anything at all online, you face interference. And, you better not trust any of it enough to press it. Clicks only worsen your situation. Neither the links nor the ads are reliable. Do yourself a favor and don’t put up with the unwanted invader. As soon as you discover its existence, take actions against it. The sooner you delete it from your system, the better. It has no place on your PC. Get rid of it. Now!
How did I get infected with?
Kovter.c turns to slyness and finesse to infiltrate. More often than not, it gains access via email. It uses spam email attachments as its ticket to your PC. The people behind it take advantage of users’ naivety, and curiosity. Say, you receive an email one day. It has forged header information, but you don’t realize that at the time. The email states that it’s from DHL, FedEx, or some other prominent company name. You click to open it, thinking it’s legitimate. The text varies, but it usually spins the same story. It states couriers attempted to deliver a package, but couldn’t. So, you have to fill out a form. Or, there’s a notification about a shipment, you made, and have to double-check. The text tends to end with words, urging you to open the attached file. Or, click on a link embedded inside the email. Do not let your curiosity get the better of you! Do not give into gullibility! Do NOT open the file or link! Do not do what the email asks of you. If you do, you end up with the Kovter.c Trojan.
Why is this dangerous?
Kovter.c rose into notoriety, courtesy of a ransomware program. One that goes by the name of Trojan.Ransomlock.AK. It’s still a vigorous debate whether one is worse from the other. But it’s a consensus that both are rather awful. You face severe risks, when stuck with the Kovter.c plague. The absolute worst threat, you encounter, concerns your security. The Trojan jeopardizes your personal and financial details. It threatens to steal, and expose them, to cyber criminals. The ones that unleashed it onto the web. Here’s the thing. Once the tool invades, it starts to spy on you. It keeps track of your browsing activities, and records everything. After it deems it has gathered enough data, it proceeds to hand it over. The question is, will you let it succeed with its agenda? Are you going to let your private life to get stolen and exposed? Nothing good can come of that. Of strangers, with questionable intentions, having access to your privacy. Don’t allow that scenario to unfold. Protect yourself, and your system, from the hazardous influences of the Trojan. Delete Kovter.c the first chance you get. Its stay brings you headaches and unpleasantness. Its prompt removal earns you the thanks of your future self.
Manual Kovter.c Removal Instructions
The Kovter.c infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the Kovter.c infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
STEP 1: Track down Kovter.c related processes in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate Kovter.c startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean Kovter.c virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
Step 4: Undo the possible damage done by Kovter.c
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for Kovter.c, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove Kovter.c Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your whole system or network and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible virus leftovers or temporary files.