Please, have in mind that SpyHunter offers a free 15-day Trial version with full functionality. Credit card is required, no charge upfront.
Can’t Remove Discover My Ancestry hijacker virus? This page includes detailed Discover My Ancestry Removal instructions!
Discover My Ancestry is a malicious hijacker threat. The infection preys on the curiosity of web users. Nowadays, it’s quite the fad to discover information about your ancestry. Hence, the name, which the cyber criminals gave to their malware. Don’t fall for the clear set up. The third parties behind the threat are playing you. They want you to trust its application, and use it. But if you do, expect nothing but unpleasantness. The program brings only headaches and negatives your way. You have nothing to gain but grievances. And, understand this. The more time, the tool spends on your PC, the more issues it throws at you. Your predicament escalates with time. It worsens. So, do yourself a favor, and don’t allow that escalation. As soon as you become aware of the infection’s presence, act! Do your best to discover the hijacker’s exact hiding place. Then, when you do, delete it. The sooner it’s gone, the better.
How did I get infected with?
Hijackers turn to trickery to invade. They resort to the old but gold invasive means to access your PC. They get you to approve their installment, while keeping you in the dark. Yes, you have no clue that you gave the green light to a cyber threat. That may seem confusing, but it’s rather simple. Here’s the thing. Yes, the hijacker needs your consent to enter your system. Yes, it has to ask if you give it. But, no, it doesn’t have to do it straightforward. So, it doesn’t. If it were outright with its inquiry, you can deny it with ease, and move on. And, it can’t have that. So, it does the exact opposite. It does seek your consent. But it does it in the most covert way possible. Freeware, fake updates, corrupted links, spam emails. These are the most common invasive methods. Neither one can prove successful without a key ingredient. One, which only you can provide. Carelessness. The Discover My Ancestry tool needs you to throw caution to the wind. It relies on you to give into naivety, and rush. Don’t make it easier for the threat to invade. Choose vigilance! Be thorough! Take the time to do your due diligence. Don’t discard the importance of caution. It helps to keep an infection-free PC. Carelessness does the opposite. Make the right choice.
Why is this dangerous?
After the Discover My Ancestry tool invades, be wary. You’re in for a horrendous experience. Hijackers are meddlesome and menacing. And, they don’t waste time. Corruption ensues as soon as they settle on your computer. At first, their interference may seem minor, insignificant almost. But, as time goes by, your predicament grows more severe. It begins with your browsing. The infection doesn’t allow you to make a move, without showering you with intrusions. It redirects you to a ton of suspicious sites. As well as, bombards you with an array of ads. In-text, banner, pop-up. You face an utter bombardment. These incessant disruptions don’t go unnoticed for long. There are repercussions that follow the continuous meddling. Your system starts to suffer frequent crashes. Your computer also slows down to a crawl. Try to imagine what going online turns into. It becomes quite the dreadful experience. And, that’s not even the worst part of having a hijacker. That ‘honor’ goes to the security issue, you face. That’s right. Because of the hijacker’s stay on your PC, you encounter a privacy threat. The infection follows instructions to spy on you from the moment it infiltrates. It doesn’t only intrude on your browsing, but also monitors your activities. It keeps a thorough record of all you do. Then, after it determines it has gathered enough data, proceeds to send it. Yes, it steals information from you, and then exposes it. It hands it over to the cyber criminals behind it. Strangers with agendas. After they get a hold of it, they can use it as they see fit. Do you think that ends well? Don’t give these people access to your personal and financial details! Get rid of the cyber threat the first chance you get. The Discover My Ancestry application is hazardous and harmful. It has NO place on your PC. Delete it NOW!
How to Remove Discover My Ancestry virus
The Discover My Ancestry infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the Discover My Ancestry infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
STEP 1: Track down Discover My Ancestry related processes in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate Discover My Ancestry startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean Discover My Ancestry virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean Discover My Ancestry traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the Discover My Ancestry by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by Discover My Ancestry
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for Discover My Ancestry, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove Discover My Ancestry argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove Discover My Ancestry Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your whole system or network and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.