Can’t Remove Attentioner.com? This page includes detailed Attentioner.com Removal instructions!
If you notice random modifications in your browser settings, that’s bad news. This is a sign something malicious has managed to land on your once safe computer system. Hence, do the right thing and tackle the intruder ASAP. Remember, you’re dealing with a sneaky, secretive infection that got installed in silence. There is some good news, though. The virus belongs to one relatively easy to remove family of parasites. What you’ve crossed paths with is either an adware infection or a PUP (potentially unwanted program). In other words, your situation could have been a lot more dramatic. The Web is filled with nasty Trojan horses and ransomware which are immensely destructive. Of course, you should make sure you get rid of the adware/PUP immediately. No type of virus should be kept on your machine. Now, are you familiar with these parasites? As they can’t harm you directly, the infections use stealth. You’ve actually been involved in a pesky attempt for a cyber scam. In other words, hackers are trying to gain illegal profit at your expense. In order to scam you, the virus takes over your browsers. Apart from adding a new extension to them, this program might install additional toolbars too. It effectively injects your trusty browsers with the Attentioner.com pop-ups. What you should keep in mind is that your safety has already been compromised. You already have an infection on your PC which means Attentioner.com is just the face of the problem. This dubious advertising platform brings the pop-ups to you. The real threat (the adware/PUP virus) is hiding somewhere on your device. Therefore, you have to locate this pest and remove it for good. Thanks to the parasite’s shenanigans, your browsers are no longer in your control. Furthermore, crooks are aiming at your bank account. You’re about to come across a rich variety of security alerts, messages and warnings. They all get generated by the virus so no, they aren’t reliable. Crooks use a very subtle approach to stealing your money. It’s quite a clever scheme. At first, hackers’ super sneaky infection gets downloaded. Then it alters your favorite browser settings behind your back. Now that your browsers are modified, they start displaying fake security warnings. According to these pop-ups, your PC is infested with harmful, problematic infections. That statement is only partly true because you have a single adware-type virus or a PUP on board.
How did I get infected with?
You didn’t agree to infect your PC, did you? Then how did this nuisance slither itself onto your computer? Most infections don’t ever rely on the victim’s permission. Instead, they wait for you to get distracted online. For instance, you might have installed this program via a freeware/shareware bundle. There is a reason why cyber criminals prefer this technique over the other ones. People tend to download program bundles off of the Internet every day. What they sometimes fail to do is check out the software that comes in the bundle beforehand. Do you see how easy it is to download a whole bunch of parasites? As mentioned, there are some more much dangerous sorts of malware out there. Trojans and ransomware travel the Web bundled too. Thus, next time you install program packages, take your time in the process. Check out what you’re about to give green light to. Otherwise, you might end up installing malware without even knowing that you are. In addition, go through the Terms and Conditions or EULA (End User License Agreement). This may not be the most exciting thing to do online but it will definitely save you a headache.
Why is this dangerous?
There’s no doubt that even the most harmless-looking virus could cause you harm. Do not let the situation get out of hand; you will regret it. Note that you’re only seeing the Attentioner.com security alerts because hackers are trying to gain revenue. You do not have to support their malicious business, though. Crooks attempt to convince you that you need to download certain programs or use certain services to delete the infections on board. However, none of these infections is real. You are constantly bombarded by the pop-ups in order to fall victim to hackers’ fraud. Keep your money and don’t let cyber criminals play mind games with you. The adware/PUP might also redirect you and it slows down your PC speed. To top it all, this parasite might spy on some personal infection thus causing you privacy damage. Please follow our detailed manual removal guide. You will find it down below.
How to Remove Attentioner.com virus
The Attentioner.com infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the Attentioner.com infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
Please, keep in mind that SpyHunter’s scanner tool is free. To remove the Attentioner.com infection, you need to purchase its full version.
STEP 1: Track down Attentioner.com in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate Attentioner.com startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean Attentioner.com virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean Attentioner.com traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the Attentioner.com by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by Attentioner.com
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for Attentioner.com, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove Attentioner.com argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove Attentioner.com Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your system and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.