Can’t Remove Search.searchmypt.com hijacker virus? This page includes detailed Search.searchmypt.com Removal instructions!
Search.searchmypt.com is a bad sign. The page indicates the presence of a hijacker. So, if you see it on your screen, you have a hijacker on your hands. The tool managed to invade your PC, undetected. And, is now announcing its existence via the site. Consider it a clue! And, you best not ignore it. Once it appears, take notice. And, take action. Hijackers don’t make for good company. They’re dangerous and damaging. The more time you grant them on your PC, the more they wreck it. The best thing you can do, is to get rid of the threat ASAP! Acknowledge the page as the warning it is. Accept that there’s a hijacker, lurking on your computer. Find where its exact hiding place is. And, delete it on discovery. The sooner, the better. Don’t waste time in debates. Delays have consequences.
How did I get infected with?
Hijackers are sneaky. So, is the one, behind Search.searchmypt.com. The tool used slyness and finesse. And, managed to dupe you into allowing its installment. Yes, you gave the infection the green light. And, you didn’t even realize it. That’s because, the tool keeps you clueless. That is, until the redirects to Search.searchmypt.com start. Hijackers have to seek your permission on their admission. But they don’t have to do it outright. So, instead of the straightforward approach, they choose the opposite. They still ask if you agree to allow them in. Only, they do it in the sneakiest way, they can. Freeware, fake updates, spam emails, corrupted links. These are the usual tricks, the tool uses to ease its covert invasion. It’s up to you to be careful enough to catch it in the act. And, to prevent its successful infiltration. Always take the time to do your due diligence. Read the terms and conditions. Know what you agree to allow into your system. Double-check everything. Look for the fine print. Don’t give into gullibility and distraction, and hope for the best. That’s a horrible strategy. One that almost always ends in regret. Don’t give into carelessness. That’s what cyber threats count on. Choose caution, instead. It goes a long way, and helps to keep infections out of your PC.
Why is this dangerous?
Once the hijacker invades, brace yourself. You’re in for quite the predicament. First off, you notice that the page Search.searchmypt.com makes an appearance, non-stop. That’s because, the hijacker doesn’t miss an opportunity to redirect you. Open a new tab? Search.searchmypt.com is there. Type in a search? Search.searchmypt.com is among the results. The infection turns the website into your online shadow. No matter what you do, it finds a way to throw it at you. It even replaces your default search engine and homepage. And, Search.searchmypt.com is there, instead. Did you agree to the switch? No. Did you have a clue as to its implementation? No. Not until you discovered it yourself. Hijackers pretty much have free rein over your system. They can perform a variety of reshuffles, and force changes on you. And, they can do it, without bothering to ask permission. Or, inform you of their intentions or actions. That poses grave dangers. What if the tool decides to flood your PC with malware? It can. If it so wishes, it can do that. So, don’t let it! Delete it the first chance you get, and save yourself from these potential issues. You’ll not only avoid a plethora of grievances and headaches. But, you’ll also protect your privacy. The hijacker takes aim at your personal and financial data. It follows programming to steal your information. And, then, expose it to the cyber criminals behind it. Given enough time on your PC, it will. So, don’t give it that time. Protect yourself, and ensure your system’s well-being. Locate and delete the hijacker ASAP.
How to Remove Search.searchmypt.com virus
The Search.searchmypt.com infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the Search.searchmypt.com infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
STEP 1: Track down Search.searchmypt.com related processes in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate Search.searchmypt.com startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean Search.searchmypt.com virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean Search.searchmypt.com traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the Search.searchmypt.com by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by Search.searchmypt.com
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for Search.searchmypt.com, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove Search.searchmypt.com argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove Search.searchmypt.com Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your whole system or network and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.