Can’t Remove Webdown-loader.com hijacker virus? This page includes detailed Webdown-loader.com Removal instructions!
Webdown-loader.com is a malicious, and rather obnoxious, website. Think of its appearance as a clue. It lets you know that your computer is no longer infection-free. A browser hijacker now resides on it. And, it’s that hijacker, which is forcing the frustrating page on you. Every time you open your browser, it’s there to greet it. It appears when you browse. Open a new tab, it pops up. Search the web, it’s among the suggested links. You even find it in place of your default homepage and search engine. Did you approve the switch? No. Is it fact regardless? Yes! That’s part of the ‘charm’ a hijacker brings. It’s a nasty infection that bombards you with issues on a daily basis. Ones, which worsen in time. So, the more you give it, the worse your predicament gets. Heed experts advice, and cut its stay as brief as possible. The sooner you remove the infection, the fewer troubles it forces on you. And, they range from redirects to a severe privacy threat. Don’t wait around to reach the point of no return. Don’t allow the hijacker to place your privacy at risk. Protect it, as well your system’s well-being. Find its hiding place. Then, delete it as soon as you do. Your future self will thank you for its prompt removal.
How did I get infected with?
Hijackers turn to slyness and subtlety when it comes to infiltration. They dupe you into installing them yourself. Oh, yes. YOU agree to install them. These programs need user’s permission to enter. They ask for it, and only proceed with admission, after getting it. So, it’s not a matter of IF you did give it. It’s a question of when you did. Odds are, you have no memory of such an exchange taking place. And, it’s not surprising that you don’t. Hijackers are tricky. They don’t outright appear, and seek entry. What if you deny them? They don’t take that chance. Instead, they resort to the old but gold means of invasion. Freeware, false updates, corrupted links, spam email attachments. The list is extensive. But do you know what all methods have in common? They rely on your carelessness. Without it, they cannot succeed. The infection needs you to rush. To throw caution to the wind. To rely on luck. If the hijacker doesn’t leave its fate to chance, why do you? Always take the time to do your due diligence. Never discard how much trouble even a little extra attention can save you. Vigilance goes a long way.
Why is this dangerous?
The program, using Webdown-loader.com as a front, is ad-supported. Its existence relies on its money-making skills. How does it make money, you wonder? Well, pay-per-click revenue, and web traffic. That should explain the incessant online interference. Each ad and page, it throws at you is potential profit. The hijacker does its best to generate as much revenue as possible. Failure means oblivion. To prevent that fate from taking place, the tool spies on you. It tracks your browsing activities to get to know you better. It tries to learn your likes, preferences, what appeals to you. When it does, it makes a proper selection. It chooses what to show you. You only see “appropriate” content. Ads and third-party pages, which have the best odds of resulting in a click. Do yourself a favor, and press nothing! All that the hijacker throws at you is malicious. It only leads to negatives. Understand that you have nothing to gain from the infection. Apart from unpleasantness and regret. The piece de resistance, is the security threat. The program doesn’t stop at only observing your browsing. It keeps a thorough record of it. Every move you make gets cataloged. Once it deems it has enough data, gathered from you, it sends it. It hands it over to the people that published it. Strangers with questionable agendas. Are you willing to allow those individuals into your private life? Do yourself a favor, and DON’T! Keep your personal and financial information out of their hands. Locate and remove the hijacker menace the first chance you get. It’s for the best.
How to Remove Webdown-loader.com virus
The Webdown-loader.com infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the Webdown-loader.com infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
Please, keep in mind that SpyHunter’s scanner tool is free. To remove the Webdown-loader.com infection, you need to purchase its full version.
STEP 1: Track down Webdown-loader.com related processes in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate Webdown-loader.com startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean Webdown-loader.com virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean Webdown-loader.com traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the Webdown-loader.com by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by Webdown-loader.com
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for Webdown-loader.com, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove Webdown-loader.com argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove Webdown-loader.com Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your whole system or network and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.