Please, have in mind that SpyHunter offers a free 7-day Trial version with full functionality. Credit card is required, no charge upfront.
Can’t Remove SearchThis.com hijacker virus? This page includes detailed SearchThis.com Removal instructions!
SearchThis.com is a hijacker-related page. Its appearance announces the presence of a browser hijacker. The program sneaks into your system undetected. So, it reveals itself via display of the website. You best not ignore the site! Acknowledge it as the warning it is! SearchThis.com is a clear sign that your PC harbors a cyber threat. Heed it. To discard it, is a colossal mistake, with grave consequences. Hijackers are intrusive and damaging. The longer they stay on your system, the bigger the damages they cause. It begins with messing with your browsing experience. All of a sudden, you can’t make a move, without getting flooded with ads. And, redirected to a plethora of suspicious pages. Of course, the SearchThis.com one pops up, most of all. It’s there, when you open a new tab. It’s among the results, when you type in a search. It’s everywhere. Even in place of your default homepage and search engine. No, you didn’t put it there. No, you didn’t agree to the switch, or had prior knowledge of it. One day, it’s already there, in place. And, you’re stuck with it. That’s how hijackers work. They can force a variety of changes on you. All, without bothering to seek your permission, or inform you. They do as they wish, and leave you to discover their touch, on your own. If they so choose, they can flood your PC with malware. And, what then? How long do you think your system will last if that happens? If it gets filled to the brim with malicious programs? Don’t wait around to find out! Protect yourself, and your PC, from the hazardous hijacker. Get rid of it the first chance you get. It’s for the best.
How did I get infected with?
Hijackers are deceitful. They use slyness and subtlety to slither into your system. These program get you to approve their install. All, while keeping you oblivious. How? Well, it’s rather simple. They prey on your carelessness. Their success relies on your naivety, haste, and distraction. So, if you wish to avoid getting stuck with one, be careful! Don’t rush, or leave your fate to chance. Don’t skip reading terms and conditions, but be extra thorough. Take the time to do your due diligence. Caution goes a long way. Vigilance helps to keep infections out of your system. The lack thereof invites them in. Make the right choice. The usual methods, these tools use, include the following. Posing as bogus updates. Like, Java or Adobe Flash Player. Lurking behind corrupted links or sites. Hitching a ride with freeware or spam emails. They have their pick of methods, with which to trick you. Don’t allow yourself to get tricked! Even a little extra attention can save you countless issues. Choose caution over carelessness.
Why is this dangerous?
SearchThis.com is not a reliable search engine. It does not offer better results, or improve your experience. It wrecks it. Every time, you use the website, it’s trouble. It forces third-party content on your screen. Everything, it shows you, has a specific purpose. To exploit your naivety for profit. The hijacker makes money off of you by way of generating web traffic. As well as, pay-per-click revenue. That’s why, it floods you with so many ads, and redirects you to so many sites. Trust nothing, it throws at you! All, you see, is dangerous and malicious. Like the SearchThis.com website itself. The absolute worst part of having a hijacker, is the privacy threat. The nasty infection threatens your personal and financial details. As soon as it invades, it begins to spy on you. It keeps track of everything you do, and records it. When it gets a hold f enough data, it sends it. And, once these people get a hold of your information, that’s it. They can use it as they see fit. Don’t allow that. Don’t let the hijacker steal and expose your data! Protect your system’s well-being, and keep your privacy private. Delete the hijacker at once. The faster it leaves your system, the better.
How to Remove SearchThis.com virus
The SearchThis.com infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the SearchThis.com infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
STEP 1: Track down SearchThis.com related processes in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate SearchThis.com startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean SearchThis.com virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean SearchThis.com traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the SearchThis.com by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by SearchThis.com
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for SearchThis.com, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove SearchThis.com argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove SearchThis.com Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your whole system or network and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.