Can’t Remove Search.ssoextension.com hijacker virus? This page includes detailed Search.ssoextension.com Removal instructions!
Search.ssoextension.com is a clue your system is harboring a cyber threat. The page’s popping up is a big, bright neon sign, there’s a browser hijacker on your PC. It used trickery and finesse to invade. And, the website’s appearance is a sign of warning. You’d do best to accept it as such. And, above all, heed it. As soon s you become aware of the hijacker’s existence, you have to take actions against it. The sooner the threat leaves your computer, the better. These types of infections are a dread. After their programming kicks in, and the mess-making begins, it does not end. The mess only grows. It continues to do so until it consumes everything. With a hijacker on your PC, you even face the possibility of getting stuck with the dreaded blue. Yes, The Blue Screen of Death is a rather minute scenario. But it is one! As insignificant and minute as the odds may be, they exist. Their minuteness does not diminish them as non-existent. So, ask yourself if that sees like a risk worth taking. And, for what? A malicious cyber infection, which meddles and wreaks havoc all day, every day? Do yourself a favor, and don’t go down that path. Find the hijacker’s lurking place, and get rid of it ASAP. Once it reveals itself with the display of the page, act! Its prompt removal with save you an avalanche of headaches and grievances. Its stay only causes that avalanche to come at you. You’ll get overwhelmed with issues in no time. Don’t allow that scenario to unfold. Hijackers don’t deserve a place on your computer.
How did I get infected with?
Hijackers use slyness to slither in. They turn to the old but gold means of infiltration. And, the most common one of all, is freeware. Why? Well, it provides the easiest entry point. That’s because, users seem to throw all caution to the wind during its install. For reasons unknown, people ignore the terms and conditions, and not bother to read them. That’s a horrendous mistake! One, you’ll come to regret. Do not discard your due diligence. Always take the time to understand what you get asked to allow into your system. If you’re thorough, you increase the odds of preventing malware installs. If you give into gullibility, however, that’s not the case. Understand that carelessness invites cyber threats into your system. Caution helps to keep them out. Do your research. Even a little extra attention goes a long way. Remember that next time you’re installing tools or updates. Vigilance is crucial in your fight against infections.
Why is this dangerous?
Search.ssoextension.com turns into your biggest bother. The page shows up every single time you touch your browser. You see it constantly. When you open a new tab, search the web, always. It even replaces your default homepage and search engine. Yes, it causes immense annoyance. But, here’s the thing. Prepare for more. Hijackers have quite the reputation when it comes to meddling. And, they’ve earned their notoriety. Apart from getting redirected to Search.ssoextension.com at every turn, you also get flooded with other sites. The tool throws countless third-party sites on you. It’s all in the hopes of generating web traffic. Not only that, but it puts you through an absolute bombardment with ads. It floods you with pop-up, in-text, banner, all kinds of ads. They aim to produce pay-per-click profits. The infection’s goal is monetary gain. The people behind it have programmed it to make money. Nothing else matters. That’s why it’s crucial NOT to fall for any promises, the program may lay out. They’re all fake. A marketing ploy to deceive you. The hijacker even follows instructions to expose your personal and financial details. So, the people behind the program can take further advantage off of you. The tool begins to spy on your online activities from the moment it invades your system. When it deems it has stolen enough information from you, it proceeds to send it. It hands it over to the people that published it. And, we’re back to the same question. Is it worth it? Is the risk of keeping the hijacker worth it? And, here’s your answer. No. It’s a simple one, supported by everything laid out so far. Don’t extend the infection’s stay beyond your realization that it’s on your computer.
How to Remove Search.ssoextension.com virus
The Search.ssoextension.com infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the Search.ssoextension.com infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
Please, keep in mind that SpyHunter’s scanner tool is free. To remove the Search.ssoextension.com infection, you need to purchase its full version.
STEP 1: Track down Search.ssoextension.com related processes in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate Search.ssoextension.com startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean Search.ssoextension.com virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean Search.ssoextension.com traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the Search.ssoextension.com by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by Search.ssoextension.com
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for Search.ssoextension.com, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove Search.ssoextension.com argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove Search.ssoextension.com Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your whole system or network and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.