Can’t Remove ScanGoogle.ru hijacker virus? This page includes detailed ScanGoogle.ru Removal instructions!
ScanGoogle.ru is a dangerous domain. This website is reported numerous times for suspicious behavior. Yet, it is not the website that is the problem. It is the browser hijacker that is hiding behind it. Yes, that is right, your computer is infected. The ScanGoogle.ru hijacker is an obnoxious program that can and will replace your preferable homepage as well as your default search engine. With this malicious tool on board, all search results you are seeing would be corrupted. Don’t forget that you are dealing with a real program. This tool has full control over your browsers. Yes, browsers. If you have more than one installed, be absolutely sure that all of them are affected. Or, more precisely, infected. If you download a new browser, it will also get infected. There is no hiding from the hijacker. Literally. This tool is designed to monitor your online activities. Which websites you visit, browsing history, everything. There is nothing private any longer. The ScanGoogle.ru hijacker is a real program. In order to work, it must be installed. Hackers won’t waste their time hacking someone’s computer just to install one program. No, they have found much easier ways to spread their malicious tools. Spam emails, freeware bundling, and fake software updates are just the most commonly used methods. All these techniques have something in common. They all rely on one thing – your negligence.
How did I get infected with?
There are many techniques for malware distribution. The ScanGoogle.ru hijacker uses not just one, but many. It may have arrived on your computer as a bundled program to some freeware you downloaded off the web. This method is known as bundling and is very common nowadays. Developers would attach extra programs to the installation files of many free programs. Once you start the installation of such a bundle, you will be presented with two setup options. If you select the recommended standard setup, your permission will no longer be needed. All extra apps will be installed without further ado. The standard process is completely automatic. It will not even notify you that it is installing additional software. Now you understand why you don’t remember installing the hijacker. Learn from your mistakes. Next time you are installing a program, opt for advanced installation wizard. This process may be presented as a suitable choice for IT experts only. Yet, there is nothing complicated in it. Scammers don’t want you to use it. Under the custom installation, you will be presented with a list of all additional programs that are about to be installed. You can deny their setup. Install only the apps you trust. This is your device. Be careful which apps you install. Carefully examine the list. If you have even the slightest suspicion that there is something wrong, abort the installation. One can never be too careful.
Why is this dangerous?
The ScanGoogle.ru hijacker threatens to expose your personal information to the public. This tool will sell every bit of data to third parties. This e never a safe thing. A hacker may be that third party. Can you imagine what may happen if such an event occurs? You may lose a lot of money. The ScanGoogle.ru hijacker can “see” your usernames and passwords. If you use your device to pay the bills or to make a purchase online, the malicious app will record your billing address and credit card information. As dangerous as this is, there are other hazardous issues you should know about. As we already mentioned, the hijacker is extremely annoying. This app will drown you in a sea of advertisements. Yet, these adverts are not helpful deal-finders. As long as it is paid, the hijacker will redirect you to any website. Money is all that matters. The hijacker has no checking mechanism. It does not distinguish between legit and shady websites. Hackers get an advantage of this particularity. They use hijackers to spread malicious content. If you have the misfortune to click on a corrupted ad, you will get redirected to an infected website. There, a drive-by download can be executed. Such downloads are almost completely invisible to the user. Hence, they are commonly used for virus distribution. Keeping the ScanGoogle.ru hijacker on board is not worth the risk. If you act promptly, you can remove this infection with ease. Yet, if you delay the removal, this pest may cause irreversible damage to your device. Therefore, don’t waste your time. Clean your computer now!
How to Remove ScanGoogle.ru virus
The ScanGoogle.ru infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the ScanGoogle.ru infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
Please, keep in mind that SpyHunter’s scanner tool is free. To remove the ScanGoogle.ru infection, you need to purchase its full version.
STEP 1: Track down ScanGoogle.ru related processes in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate ScanGoogle.ru startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean ScanGoogle.ru virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean ScanGoogle.ru traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the ScanGoogle.ru by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by ScanGoogle.ru
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for ScanGoogle.ru, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove ScanGoogle.ru argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove ScanGoogle.ru Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your whole system or network and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.