Please, have in mind that SpyHunter offers a free 15-day Trial version with full functionality. Credit card is required, no charge upfront.
Can’t Remove Googlescan.ru hijacker virus? This page includes detailed Googlescan.ru Removal instructions!
Hijackers present an immense annoyance, as well as a colossal risk, to both you and your system. They throw an avalanche of troubles your way, and inconvenience you on a daily basis. Needless to say, they are not desirable. They are an unwanted, intrusive plague that take over your PC, and threaten your privacy. If you see the Googlescan.ru site pop up all day, every day, you have a hijacker on your computer. Unfortunately, one of these harmful programs managed to slither into your system. The website is the first clue. Take it as a big, bright sign you’re in trouble. The display of Googlescan.ru is a warning. Heed it! And, most of all, act on it ASAP. The nasty hijacker tool uses the site as a shield to lurk behind. It’s a front. So, once the site appears, do your best to discover the program’s hiding place. Then, delete it as soon as you do. Don’t delay for the more time the infection spends on your PC, the worse your situation gets. Don’t allow your predicament to snowball into an utter disaster. Get rid of the hijacker as soon as the opportunity presents itself. Once Googlescan.ru shows up, act! Locate and remove the threat, and save yourself a ton of headaches and grievances.
How did I get infected with?
The Googlescan.ru site appears, because a hijacker made it so. But hijackers don’t pop up one day out of the blue. They are programs that require your permission to enter your system. They have to ask whether you agree to install them. If you don’t, no admittance. Hijackers proceed with installment only after receiving your consent. So, if one plagues you, you have yourself to blame. Or, rather, your carelessness. You were careless enough to allow the infection access to your PC. How/ Well, easy. It duped you. You got tricked. After all, don’t think it outright shows up, and seek s approval. If it did, what’s to stop you from saying ‘No?’ It can’t have you refusing it, so it pulls out all the tricks. The hijacker can lurk behind freeware, corrupted links, or sites. It can hitch a ride with spam email attachments. Or, pretend to be a bogus system or program update. Vigilance is key! Always take the time to be thorough. Read the terms and conditions. Due diligence goes a long, long way. If you want to avoid installing malware on accident, be attentive enough to spot it trying to sneak in.
Why is this dangerous?
Googlescan.ru becomes your online shadow after the hijacker settles in your system. The infection forces it on you all the time. Open a new tab, guess what pops up. Search the web, do you know what you find among the suggested links? Do anything online, and Googlescan.ru shows up. It even takes over for your default homepage and search engine. Yes, you may not have agreed to the switch. But, it’s there. And, it’s there to stay unless you act against the hijacker. If you don’t remove the cyber threat, prepare for a plethora of problems. You won’t only get redirected on a regular basis. You’ll also get flooded with advertisements of all kinds. Pop-up, banner, in-text, et cetera. Pretty soon, your browsing turns into an endless stream of intrusions. And, it doesn’t take long before the consequences of these intrusions kick in. Your system suffers from frequent crashes. Your computer slows down. It’s a mess. But nothing compares to the security risk, the hijacker places on you. It’s, by far, the worst problem, you face. The hijacker, using Googlescan.ru as a face, spies on you. It keeps track of your browsing, and catalogs your activities. Once it determines it has gathered enough data, it hands it over to strangers. Oh, yes. The infection exposes the stolen information to the people that published it. Unknown individuals with agendas. Do you think anything positives derives from that? Are you okay with exposing your personal and financial details to cyber criminals? Here’s a hint: Don’t! Do yourself a favor, and act against the infection as soon as you see the site. Googlescan.ru is a harbinger of trouble. Heed its warning, and take action. It’s for the best.
How to Remove Googlescan.ru virus
The Googlescan.ru infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the Googlescan.ru infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
Please, keep in mind that SpyHunter’s scanner tool is free. To remove the Googlescan.ru infection, you need to purchase its full version.
STEP 1: Track down Googlescan.ru related processes in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate Googlescan.ru startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean Googlescan.ru virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
STEP 3 : Clean Googlescan.ru traces from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
Open Google Chrome
- In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
- Remove the Googlescan.ru by clicking on the little recycle bin
- Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Open Mozilla Firefox
- Press simultaneously Ctrl+Shift+A
- Disable the unwanted Extension
- Go to Help
- Then Troubleshoot information
- Click on Reset Firefox
Open Internet Explorer
- On the Upper Right Corner Click on the Gear Icon
- Click on Internet options
- go to Toolbars and Extensions and disable the unknown extensions
- Select the Advanced tab and click on Reset
- Restart Internet Explorer
Step 4: Undo the damage done by Googlescan.ru
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for Googlescan.ru, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
You must clean all your browser shortcuts as well. To do that you need to
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and then select properties.
- in the target field remove Googlescan.ru argument and then apply the changes.
- Repeat that with the shortcuts of your other browsers.
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove Googlescan.ru Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your whole system or network and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible registry leftovers or temporary files.